Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Ornament for 2018

After the SOAR assembly, I stopped by Target to pick up a few things. As I walked in, I chanted my mantra of "Only buy things on your list, only buy things on your list," to try and strengthen my resolve. But with Christmas coming up, and my surgery date preventing me from doing any last-minute shopping, I just had to browse in case anything caught my eye....

Well, in the ornaments section, I noticed this rainbow-colored, glitter-enhanced, smiling turd. At first it struck me as an absolutely absurd Christmas ornament, even although the poop emoji is apparently quite popular.  But the more I thought about it, it seemed to be the perfect metaphor for this crappy year in our lives. Zac's sister died, I got really sick, my sister is going through a rough divorce, Trump is trying his best to destroy our democracy...and those are just the major things.  But then, there's also the glitter and rainbows. We got to see distant family and meet Bevin's son and his parents; I ended up getting surgery that essentially cured my disease, we experienced the kindness and generosity of our friends, and I get to appreciate things like bagels and walks so much more; my sister may end up much happier in the long run; and voter turnout was super high and democrats regained the house.  And so, just like this little pyramid of poop, we're still smiling. Reader, I bought it.



Despite deviating from my shopping list and picking up a few presents for the kids, I still made it home in time to take my precious walk through the rainbow colored woods.