Thursday, November 1, 2018

LaSERAs Revived! (Get it? Lazarus? Revived?)

I really feel the like surgery revived me from the dead. Although I was technically alive, it was no way to live. I hurt all the time and had at least 29 problems. Really: I made a list before the surgery just in case I ever regretted it and forgot how bad I was suffering beforehand.

I'm starting to feel much better now.  The best part is that I can eat almost anything again (still avoiding most raw fruits and vegetables and gas-producing foods). It's good because I'm so hungry all the time and I need to gain weight. So I get to have delicious morning snacks like this:


And I take a walk every day now. It feels so good to be able to walk again. In the hospital, I needed a walker to help me on the first several days. Even once I was back home, my first couple of walks I would go so slow and it felt like I didn't even know how to walk properly anymore.  But each day I've been noticing improvement and I feel a little bit stronger and a little bit more normal.


Also, it's just so good to be able to be outside again. I haven't ventured out much over the last several months, due to extreme fatigue but also due to the need to be within 30 seconds of a bathroom at all times. So I'm loving my walks, especially now as the leaves are turning to their beautiful fall colors.


(If my life were a novel, the protagonist would be revived in spring, not fall for symbolic purposes. Instead, I got really sick in the spring and came back to life in the fall.  Ha ha--take that, symbolism!)


And here's just a view of our kitchen that tells a story. The kids art on the wall. My orange seat cushion (until I get some more fat on my bottom). My chromebook where I do e-mail and research. The get-well cards on the windowsill. I spend a lot of time in this kitchen enjoying the window and the view.