Leading up to Thanksgiving, Alice had a school project where she had to make a family tree and then research a country that her ancestors came from. I think this is all part of the wonderful liberal agenda to remind everyone (even white folks) that we all came from somewhere else and are only here due to immigration.
Anyway, getting Alice to make the family tree was quite a challenge.
Then we had to get her to do research on Italy and write a report, which was a problem we solved by just having her watch videos about it. Getting her to write was quite a chore.
The culminating event was the heritage feast in her classroom.
Since I am still off work, it was easy for me to go. I ordered a big tray of spaghetti and meatballs from a local Italian restaurant and brought it, hoping to get some awesome Indian or African food in exchange. No such luck. The event was poorly attended, and the food was pretty minimal. The other main dish was a tray of lasagna, then there were some cookies, some dates, some rolls, and some popcorn, and some Mexican sodas. What could I do? I just had to eat a lot of the cookies in order to experience British culture.
The set up was kind of weird. It started out with the kids sitting on the floor eating their lunch from the cafeteria. Then the adults got plates of the food that was brought and sat at the desks (but it was unclear if the kids would be joining us). Then the kids were allowed to get some of the food, and some of them sat with the few parents who came. It was just weird.
But, it was fun to see Alice in her classroom and with her peers. And she was only a bit bonkers by the end.