Saturday, November 17, 2018

Native American Heritage Celebration

On Saturday morning, we watched the Raleigh Christmas Parade on TV and relished not having had to find a parking spot or withstand the crowds and cold.

On Saturday afternoon, Simon had a playdate with his friend Elizabeth, so after I dropped him off, Alice and I went to a nearby Chinese restaurant for lunch.  She behaved much better without Simon around to mess with.


Then we headed to the Native American Heritage Celebration going on at the history museum downtown. There were lots of members of the tribes in their traditional clothes, which made it really fun just walking around looking at all the amazingly beautiful outfits. I didn't feel comfortable taking pictures of any of the real people, so here is Alice with a statue that is in front of the museum.

There were also lots of activities for kids, such as archery using a bamboo bow,


looking at animal furs,


making bead bracelets,


and whatever this was.


After doing some of the craft tables, we walked through part of the actual history museum.


Then we tried to find a spot to watch some of the dancing. Spiderman joined us briefly.


Then we picked up Simon from Elizabeth's. He had a great time playing with her and riding this really slow battery-powered scooter.


On the way home, I asked Simon what he had for lunch with Elizabeth.
"A sandwich."
What was on the sandwich?
"Meat and leaves."