Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Thank you for not cutting the carrot, Daddy!

So, Zac and I often use the "positive reinforcement" method with our kids. This is where we encourage positive behaviors by giving them very specific praise. For example, we'll say, "Alice, I like how you took your shoes off right when you came in!" or "Simon, I'm so glad you used a napkin instead of wiping your mouth on your shirt!"

Lately, I've been noticing the kids using this same method on us. They probably don't realize what they're doing, of course, but they're just picking up the behavior from us. For example, one evening after supper when Alice was receiving my undivided attention, she said, "Mom, I love it when you play with me instead of doing the dishes."

And today I noticed Simon did it to. He was adamantly refusing all breakfast options, until he finally realized that what he really needed was a carrot. Zac tried to give him a carrot stick that he had already cut up to take in his lunch, but no, Simon needed a long carrot. Simon went to the fridge and showed Zac the drawer where the uncut carrots are kept, and stabbed it with his little finger. "These carrots. I want one of these carrots. Don't cut it!"

When Zac, exasperated, complied with his specific request, Simon said, unprompted, "Thank you for not cutting the carrot, Daddy!"

So for the last two days, Simon has had a carrot for breakfast.