Friday, May 13, 2016

Lucky Friday the 13th

On Friday, Zac went to our friend's birthday party, so I had to the kids to myself. We'll frequently do this for social events--rather than the hassle and expense of a babysitter, one of us will just stay home and the other will go out.  The kids often drive us nuts even when we're both there to help out and take turns, so I was prepared for worst. But luckily tonight they were quite good. Alice even went in Simon's room and looked at books by herself for a long time.


After baths, we all read books together on the couch in Alice's room.  We normally each take a kid, alternating nights with each one, since they're on very different reading levels. Whenever one of us is gone and we have to do storytime together, usually Simon goes bonkers and runs around the room, but tonight he did pretty well, actually staying on the couch beside me while I read.


(I'm leaving out the part about how I managed to make each kid cry before bed. So it wasn't perfect, but all in all, a pleasant evening.)