So, at bedtime snack, Simon didn't have much of an appetite. How can you tell, you might ask, given that Simon rarely voluntarily eats much. Answer: Because he had no interest in watermelon, one of his favorite things to eat.
So it didn't really come as a surprise when he started throwing up. It went on the table, his shirt, his pants... I didn't want to change him right away though, because I thought more might be on the way. However, when he said, "I want you to make me happy, mommy" I overlooked the puke and put him on my lap. It soon appeared as though the vomiting had stopped, and we took off his yucky clothes.
So we gave him a bath, and he wanted out right away, and he didn't even want to read book afterwards. I just rocked him and snuggled with him and he soon fell fast asleep. This is also rare--although he almost always falls asleep while being rocked before nap, he never does before bedtime. And last night, for example, he was awake in his crib until after 11pm. This after spending all day at the beach and only taking a 25 minute nap in the van on the drive home.
So he was sound asleep and when I stood up to put him in his crib, he blurted out, "No! I want to read three books!"
So much for that.
So I turned on the light, and a few seconds later Simon whimpered then started retching again. The trash can was too far away so I tried to pull up his shirt to catch it, but that didn't work--I could only cup my hands.
So that's why I was saying, "In my hands, Simon! Barf in my hands!" He got two good rounds in my hands, but the rest went on my leg, the chair, the floor, hoot owl...for a kid that seems to barely eat, it was quite amazing how much was in there.
So, Zac heard the chaos and quickly came in and got Simon undressed while I went and washed my hands. And changed my clothes. And washed my hands again.
So I gave Simon a quick bath again, then snuggled with him in his towel in Alice's room while Zac cleaned up all the upchuck.
So then I had to start all over again. Put on the night diaper. Put on the pajamas. Read three (ok, four) books. Convince Simon to turn off the light. Rock him and snuggle. Put him in bed.
So that was one part of our evening.