This text was foreshadowing for a rough weekend. Zac was disappointed to discover that when he got to the driveway with the pizza and the barf-covered Alice, I was not yet home from the grocery store. He managed well enough, though, because when I walked in the door, Alice was in pajamas and they were all snuggling on the couch. The pizza was still in the van.
We got everyone fed, the groceries unloaded, and somehow still managed to watch The Martian that night. So whenever the parenting gets tough, it's helpful to remember that it could be worse: we could be stranded on Mars.
The weekend, although it had its good moments, was pretty rough. Both kids were sick and irritable and prone to fits of tears. Simon would cry, for example, if he wanted to close a closet door and a parent closed it instead. Alice saved most of her crying for the supper table.
I've already blocked most of the torment, but let me say that chaperoning my high school's prom Saturday night was probably the highlight of the weekend.