Monday, June 15, 2015

Let the summer begin

Today started my seven weeks of summer break. The plan for the summer is for the kids to go to daycare part-time, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. They would stay home with me on Mondays and Fridays. I am looking forward to using my child-free days off to do a little reading, take walks, and listening to podcasts and NPR while tackling the closets and cupboards that have been getting increasingly cluttered over the last four years. A brief recap of past summers, so you can appreciate why I'm looking forward to this summer so much:

Summer 2011: Give birth to Alice and stay home with her for 3 months.

Summer 2012: Keep 1-year old Alice home with me all summer. All I remember is she cried a lot.

Summer 2013: I had a month where Alice was in daycare before I gave birth to Simon. All I remember of that time period was sorting through hand-me-downs and getting the house ready for another munchkin, all while finding it terribly difficult to move or bend over. Then Simon was born and I stayed home with him for 3 months.

Summer 2014: I kept Simon home with me full-time, and Alice went to school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

So I think this summer will be just the right mix of relaxed days home with the kids and days for me to get stuff done around the house, as well as get ready for the several trips and visitors we have scheduled this summer.

Day one got off to a good start. Alice entertained herself by playing rocket-ship with the shopping cart after eating breakfast.




Then, in preparation for Father's Day, I made this little video of Alice talking about Zac. I didn't really plan my questions out very well, so it gets a bit redundant.


I took the kids with me on a grocery trip to Harris Teeter and when we got back, we had a snack on the porch and they played outside for a bit.


I was able to sit in the hammock while the kids played in the yard, which was more interesting to them than normal because our water table was still out there, left from the party. They fight a little bit, mainly because Alice will grab something Simon has or wants, but they can also play together a little bit now.



They were all wet and finally ready to go in, so I stripped them on the porch. But Simon had found some bubbles left over from the party, that he refused to part with.


Later, after nap, he had a lot of fun playing with his green balloon. Given that he's so uncoordinated in other ways, I was impressed when he could catch it.