Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Alice's 1st dental appointment

Alice had her first dentist appointment today. She did great. The hygienist was really good with Alice and got Alice to cooperate with all the cleaning. I couldn't have imagined doing this with Alice a year ago, but she has matured enough to want the adoration of others, and realizes (most of the time) that cooperating earns her praise.



It also earned her two prizes from the treasure chest.


One was a green bracelet, and the other was this orange blob that Alice confidently called a nu-nu.  I have no idea where she got the name or if I'm even spelling it correctly.


There were only two tough parts of the whole appointment. The first was when the dentist came in and talked down to Alice, complimenting her for being cute or something. It clearly made Alice uncomfortable and almost eroded all the rapport the hygienist had built up with the Alice. The other time was when the hygienist painted the fluoride on Alice's teeth. It tasted horrible, and Alice almost couldn't tolerate it, but in the end she powered through.