Ellie Rose had her birthday party at a little picnic shelter next to a playground at a park. It was a great idea--exactly what we'd been looking for for Alice's birthday but hadn't been able to find. In the end, I'm glad we're just having a small party at our house, since this is a tough act to follow anyway, and it would have been silly if the kids were doing the exact same thing two weekends in a row.
Simon immediately went for the bubbles, and he finally learned how to actually blow the bubbles for the first time!
The kids mostly ran around and played on the playground and with the various outdoor toys. Alice and Grayson even played with the frisbee golf stands that were nearby.
But the best part (for Alice) was when Elsa, from Frozen, showed up to play games with the kids and paint their faces. I asked Kerri, the host, if this was a friend of hers, and she said, "No, I bought her online." Kerri apparently didn't get the memo that we're supposed to be the slacker moms who don't do things like rent entertainers for the childrens' birthday parties. But I think this is telling--even the type of moms I'm friends with are throwing great kids' parties. Alas, poor me.
Alice was scared of Elsa at first, but once she understood that she was just a normal person in a costume, Alice had no fear, and chatted away, telling Elsa things like, "I got my face painted at the science museum!"
At cake time, Simon was happy to sit at the table, but he did not like the hat and he didn't even take one bite of his cake. Normally he loves cake, so I don't know what that was about.
The birthday girl with her new dolls, and Alice trying to hoard all the party favors.