Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Surprise snow day

On Tuesday, an unpredicted snowstorm came in the morning.  School was cancelled at the last minute, and it snowed all day.  Zac went in to work, so it was just the kids and I.  Thankfully, Alice took less than two hours to eat breakfast, so we were able to get outside to play at a reasonable time.  Simon refused to wear mittens, so as soon as he fell and got his hands in the snow, he was really cold and cried a lot.  Alice brought some toy dinosaurs out because she wanted to use them to make footprints in the snow.


Alice wanted to go to the park again, but there was no way I was going to try and take Simon of the Snow Hands there.  Luckily, Zac came home from work early, so while he made pancakes and sausage for supper, I took Alice to the park.

She said she wanted to go sled riding, but was immediately distracted by the enormous icicles hanging off the restroom building.  Alice loves icicles, and these were as big as swords, so she could not have been happier.




I was finally able to convince Alice to actually go sledding, but she only went down the hill with me once.  The other times, she just ran down the hill while I sledded.  The snow was wet and slow, but let the record show that Alice runs faster than a sled going downhill.  She beat me every time.

On the way home, Alice wanted to walk through the woods.



She pulled the sled full of snow and icicles with the rope around her waist.


She'd been wanting to make snow angels all evening, but I convinced her to wait until we got home, so we could go in and warm up once she was all wet and cold.


I'm enjoying all these snow days, but I do wish they were spread out more!