On Wednesday, due to the remnants of snow, daycare was on a two-hour delay and then also closed a bit early. I ended up picking up the kids and getting supper ready, a feat rarely attempted. To keep the kids occupied, I let them color. I don't know how people do it who are often the only parent present at this critical time of day. Simon colored all over his tray, Alice put stamps all over her arm, and the broccoli was overcooked. It wasn't that terrible, but certainly less than ideal.
Since they were stuck inside all day at school due to the cold mess outside, we encouraged them to run around after supper. Simon is getting better at running, and shouts "Go, go, go!" the whole time.
Later that night, Zac was talking to me in the foyer while Alice was in the bath. I could hear Alice announcing things like, "Mom, I'm going to wash my own hair!" and a minute later: "Mom, I'm putting shampoo in my hair!" By the time I got back to check on her, she had a ton of soap in her hair, but had only gotten the top half wet. I helped her wash the rest of her hair, and assisted with a thorough rinsing. But she's getting closer to being able to do things like this herself.