Friday, February 13, 2015

Sick day with Simon

At the end of the day Thursday, I got a call from daycare that Simon had a fever. That meant he would have to stay home Friday, so I quickly put together some plans for the sub.  I like having sick days home with the kids, but it is rather inconvenient, since I'm still in debt on leave days at work, and Zac is super busy since his job promotion, and can't get off very easily anymore.  But, it is what it is, so I just enjoy the time with the kids.

This was like a typical sick day, where the kid is not actually that sick.  However, I got the same bug Simon did, and felt pretty lousy all day.  Luckily, Simon was in good spirits and was easy to take care of.

When I went in to get him in the morning, he was saying, "Uh-oh" because he had taken the sleep sheep off the side of his bed.  I love how kids tell on themselves.



Simon is starting to understand the idea of hiding, and he likes to hide behind this chair or under his bed.



Simon's latest obsession is playing with the remote for the color-changing lightbulb in his bedroom.  He calls the remote "yellow" because it can change colors, and all colors are yellow.


He also loves playing with tissues, and will go through a whole box if you don't intervene in time.


He played with the popcorn maker for a good part of the morning. He likes to open the lid and put the little bag of popcorn inside, then close it, then open it, then take it out again. Repeat.


Ok blog readers, now is the time to heat up your lunch or grab a snack and enjoy dining with Simon. This video is nearly nine minutes long, but he's so adorable the whole time that I couldn't bear to truncate it.  I took the video because this was the first time he really did a good job of eating with a fork. We might civilize this child yet.


We have this little broom and dustpan in the kitchen and make Alice sweep up the mess on the floor under her chair after she eats.  Simon, ever observant, has taken to sweeping the floor (and occasionally the oven) just like his big sister.


All in all, it was a lovely day home with my dear Simon.

*********

Alice had a good time at her Valentine's party at school. She was so excited to show me all the treats in her treat bag, and was in good spirits all evening.