Monday, February 2, 2015

Mannequins and blouses

Every morning, Alice comes into my bathroom and finds this picture in The Atlantic. Alice has always been terrified of mannequins, but they've been featured more prominently since we went to the mall a few months ago.  She loves talking about this picture.  "Mom, look, the mannequin is going to put on the happy head!"  But she also has lots of questions.  "Why does the mannequin have two heads?  Why is one sad and one happy? Why is the mannequin going to put on the happy head?"  She never questions the pink hair though.



Alice got this blouse for Christmas from Grandma Shogren, and since it's been hanging in her closet, she's been bugging me to wear it.  I kept telling her to wait for a warm day, since the material is kind of thin and breezy.  Finally a warm day arrived, and I let her wear it with her beloved purple jeans.

Here she is when Zac picked her up at school, cutting hearts out of construction paper with some special heart-shaped cutting machine.  But I think it was a rough day, because when I asked her if everyone liked her blouse, she immediately got defensive and said, "I don't want to talk about my blouse."  So my guess is she got a lot of comments, and even though she loves attention, she also can get shy about it.  She never explained it, but that's my best inference based on her reaction to my question.