My days home with both kids are quite fun, and generally follow a nice little pattern. I'm sad that I've only got about two weeks left home with them! So here's the typical routine for this summer:
Morning: After everyone is breakfasted, we'll usually go outside and play. Sometimes we do the swimming pool, the fountain, the water table, or just play in the yard. I always have to put pants on Simon so he can crawl around the yard.
Then, whenever Simon gets tired, we'll come in and I'll put him down for a nap (usually around 10 am). Then Alice will have her morning snack, which is usually fruit plus sometimes crackers or lunchmeat. One time it was baked beans because that's what she wanted. Sometimes she'll eat at her little picnic table on the porch.
After her snack, while Simon is still sleeping, we do art. This is usually painting, playdoh, or stamps, or all three in succession if she has a short attention span or Simon has a long nap. I often paint with her, but sometimes I'll use that time to clean up the kitchen or do other housekeeping activities.
When Simon wakes up, usually around noon, we'll have lunch then play in the living room.
Then, around 2:30 Simon will usually go down for his afternoon nap. Once he's in bed, I'll get Alice into her pull-up and snuggly clothes, read her a book, and put her down for a nap. She's on the verge of not needing naps every day, so I often have to hypnotize her to get her to fall asleep. I will scratch her back or hair while softly saying, "Relax your feet, relax your legs...." etc. all through her body. I also bribe her; if she takes a good nap, she gets to eat marshmallows (a handful, in a little cup) on the couch while watching Dora. This usually works out well because she usually wakes up around 4:30 or 5 and it will keep her occupied while I get supper started.
While the kids nap, if it all works out and they are asleep at the same time, I will use that precious hour to read, or sometimes catch up on e-mails or this blog, but the time always goes by so fast. I still always think I need a double life: one where I can focus on enjoying the kids all day, and another where I can be my own person, pursue other interests, and get stuff done. Under the current system, I have a couple hours a day when the kids are napping or in bed for the night to do my own thing, and that time is too limited to get everything done, plus maintain the house. Alas.
