Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I didn't eat my chicken!

One of the days we were in Ohio, Alice didn't do a good job eating her lunch.  She generally doesn't eat well on trips, partly because the food is different, partly because there are too many other distractions.  But it had been especially taxing on this trip because her illness had greatly diminished her appetite, but she would still get super grumpy and crabby from not having enough to eat.  Even when the worst of her illness had passed, her appetite was still weak.  It was irritating because I knew as soon as we left the house to go do something, she would need a snack or would start to break down.

So one time Zac gave her a nice leftover chicken leg for lunch, which she barely ate.  When we went out for our activity, she soon turned whiny and needed carried.  In a futile attempt to teach her cause and effect, we explained that she had no energy because she didn't eat her chicken.

Since then, whenever she has been tired or wants picked up, she'll explain earnestly, "I have no energy...I didn't eat my chicken!"