When she got home that evening, and I asked her how her day was, she said, "Great! I didn't make any bad choices!"
But then later, when I was asking her who her helper for line-leader day was, she accidentally revealed that "Genevieve was the line leader while I was in the baby room."
"Alice, why were you in the baby room? Did you make a bad choice?"
She hung her head. "Yeah, I took apart some work."
"What do you mean?"
"I took apart a ten."
I had no idea what she meant, but Zac figured out that she must have taken apart the wire with ten beads on it for the counting work.
It was just sad that she'd missed part of her day that she had been so looking forward to. I do worry a lot about her getting in trouble, because while she is not mean, she is devious and she does get lots of ideas in her head that probably wouldn't occur to other kids (based on our experience with how much easier Simon is). The world is just full of temptation for Alice.
***
Update #1: On Monday morning, Alice kept saying she was scared to go to school. They must have come down pretty hard on her for messing up the work, because she's never said something about being scared about going to school before. I tried explaining to her that if she just makes good choices all day, she won't get into any trouble.
Update #2: When I picked the kids up on Wednesday, I mentioned this incident to Alice's teachers, and it was hard to get a clear story from them, but it seems that Alice was caught stealing the beads, not merely taking them apart. The teacher even said they'd seen her trying to do it for a couple of days and had warned her.