Last Saturday we did something else in the morning so I was going to take her in the afternoon, after her nap. But she ended up taking a late nap, and at some point I decided to go without her because I needed to get there and back with enough time to make supper. As I was just ready to head out the door, I heard her wake up, so I thought I'd take her with me after all.
I forgot that she would take forever to go potty, then take forever to eat a snack, and at some point I changed plans again and decided to just go to the store, since it would be quicker without her. The problem was, I had been urging her to hurry up so we could go to the grocery store together.
As I closed the door behind me, I could hear her burst into tears. Zac later reported that she cried for about ten minutes. Although I was sad to hear this, it kind of confirmed my decision to go without her, because when she cries over something for that long, it means she is a wreck and would have been difficult in the store.
But boy did she make me pay for it. All week, whenever there was any mention of the grocery store (who knew we talked about it so much?) she would get this really hurt expression on her face and say, "Mommy, don't left me! I want to go to the grocery store! You left me last weekend. I cried." (Everything in the past is "last weekend" to her.)
I forgot that she would take forever to go potty, then take forever to eat a snack, and at some point I changed plans again and decided to just go to the store, since it would be quicker without her. The problem was, I had been urging her to hurry up so we could go to the grocery store together.
As I closed the door behind me, I could hear her burst into tears. Zac later reported that she cried for about ten minutes. Although I was sad to hear this, it kind of confirmed my decision to go without her, because when she cries over something for that long, it means she is a wreck and would have been difficult in the store.
But boy did she make me pay for it. All week, whenever there was any mention of the grocery store (who knew we talked about it so much?) she would get this really hurt expression on her face and say, "Mommy, don't left me! I want to go to the grocery store! You left me last weekend. I cried." (Everything in the past is "last weekend" to her.)