Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Happiness is a warm book


It's moments like this that I wish I could beam back to my younger, anxious self and say, "See, it all turns out OK.  Even better than you could have ever imagined."

Zac took this photo on his phone a couple of days ago, and when I saw it today, I sort of felt like he had captured the best moment of my life so far (no offense graduation, wedding, Namibia, Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu, and all that).  It was my own little photo on the subway moment.  It had been a rough week at work--one where it seemed like there  literally weren't enough hours in each day to do everything I needed to do and I felt I was on the brink of collapse.  But I am trying hard not to let the demands of my job interfere too much with time with the kids, and this photo attests to that.  So although there is technically not a big swirling New York City chaos and rush that this moment stands in opposition to, I see this picture and I know that hovering in the background was a midterm exam that needed made and a pile of papers to grade--my own hustle and bustle that I have completely blocked out so that I could read books with the kids.