Wednesday, October 16, 2013

"Simon put the blue foot on the napkin!"

I still can't get over Alice speaking in complete sentences.  Granted, her grammar is not always perfect, but her vocabulary is growing daily and she's getting better and better at communicating.  Combine this with her developing imagination and ability to think symbolically, and we have a lot of fun.

During supper today, I gave Simon the red dog to play with while we ate.  At some point, he knocked it out of the car seat, and Alice said, astonished, "Simon put the blue foot on the napkin!"  (The dog has four different colored feet and only the blue one had landed on the napkins.)  I find the level of specificity interesting, because I would have just said something like, "Simon knocked the dog out."


She also held up a long, thin piece of chicken that had some skin hanging off of one end and said, "It's an American flag!"  I really don't know why two-year-olds have such a bad reputation.  They are the most amazing creatures on earth.