Tuesday, June 15, 2021

First Swim Meet

 On Tuesday we had our first real swim meet at Brentwinds Country Club. Their team was huge and pretty good. The meet lasted over three hours, and that's even with them only doing the first heats of breaststroke and butterfly once they realized how slow the meet was going. I had no idea how our kids would do. I wasn't worried about them swimming fast or placing or anything, I just wanted them to have a good attitude and swim their events. It all went pretty well, actually. Alice ended up subbing for another swimmer who didn't show up, so Alice swam an older relay and even a 50 free. I was working as stroke and turn judge the whole time, so I couldn't really cheer them on or talk to them after each race, but both kids seemed happy and fine. Despite having done no practices, Simon swam his events. He's good at watching what the other kids are doing and following along. Now he just needs to learn how to swim properly!

Family selfie before the meet. You can't really see it but we're all wearing our swim team shirts.


Alice and her good friend Lily.



Simon's 25 freestyle. He's in lane 2 (lane 1 is farthest from view).


Alice doing the 50 free in the 11-12 age group (subbing for an absent swimmer). She's in lane 4.

Alice doing the first leg of the 100 free relay. She's in lane 2.