Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Surgery scheduled!

I went to UNC hospital this morning to meet with the surgeon (Dr. Sadiq) recommended by my GI doctor. I wasn't sure what would happen at the appointment. My doctor had been floating the idea of surgery (removing my diseased colon) for a while but said there was still one more drug I could try.  Seeing as how all the other drugs had failed to bring me any closer to remission, I was really hoping to just get my colon removed and be done with this whole bloody business. But I wasn't sure what the surgeon would say--if he would say I should try more drugs first, or make me wait to gain weight or if he was fully booked for months.  I really had no idea.

What happened was both surgeons (I think one was a resident) unequivocally said I should have my colon removed.  They scheduled the surgery right then (for Oct 15) and even had the ostomy nurse come in and mark the spot where my stoma would be.

It all happened so fast. I wasn't expecting to leave the appointment with surgery scheduled for less than two weeks later.  But I'm happy it happened this way. I'm not sure how it will be having the ostomy bag, but at this point I am so miserable and so desperate for relief, that I can deal with anything if it means less suffering.


I'm super skinny but I have a huge bloated belly making me look pregnant. Just one of the many fun things from this disease.