Thursday, September 22, 2016

Superhero moisture

Alice has become more fearful at night sometimes. I can remember feeling very scared and alone at night a lot as a kid, so I have a lot of empathy for her. Still, it is annoying because when she doesn't want us to leave or calls for us after being in bed for just a few minutes, it infringes on our precious child-free time.

I always try to talk her through it.  Here is a recent dialogue that took an interesting turn.

Sera: What exactly are you afraid of?
Alice: There is a monster in my closet.
Sera: Really? I've never seen it.
Alice: It's an invisible monster.
[Hmm...two can play at this game...]
Sera: Well, did you know that there are lots of invisible superheroes guarding you every night?
Alice: No there aren't!  If there were, I'd wake up hot from all their moisture. 
Sera: The superheroes are very small, but strong, and there are only three.

Well, I eventually got her to bed.