Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Alice's 1st real day of kindergarten

On Alice's first real day of kindergarten, she was brave and excited. Her teacher met her at the door, I dropped off some supplies I'd bought from the teacher's wish list (a little bribery never hurts) and bid my little supergirl farewell.




Around 5pm, I picked her up from the after school program. It's basically babysitting for all the kids of working parents. The routine seems to be that they go to the cafeteria and have a snack, then play outside on the playground for a while, then sit in the cafeteria and play with various toys and games. When I picked Alice up she had made this big thing and was spinning it. She seemed quite content and happy, so I never have to feel guilty leaving her there.


When I asked her about the snack, though, she said she didn't get any. It turns out she didn't really understand how to get the snack, and when she got to the cafeteria, "everyone was already munching." It was surprising to me that she didn't ask someone. She's generally good at advocating for herself, especially when snacks are involved. I took her over to the lady in charge (who was not very friendly) and asked what had happened. She didn't really know (great observation skills lady - don't you notice some kids don't have a snack?). Anyway, she explained the process to Alice so that Alice would know what to do the next time.

She was exhausted but happy after her first day. Here's some work that was in her folder.