Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Alice's 2nd day of kindergarten

Alice's second day of kindergarten seemed to go really well. They told me I had to sign in if I wanted to walk her all the way to her classroom this morning, so I dropped her off at the door. She seemed fine and didn't even look back. When I picked her up in the afternoon, she was feeding plastic ice cream scoops to some plastic farm animals, and was in good spirits. And she had successfully gotten her snack.

But there was a different misunderstanding today. I let her buy lunch because the menu said they were having spaghetti, and I wanted her to learn how to buy lunch while everyone was still cognizant of helping the new kindergartners through the process. When I asked her how lunch went, she said she had chicken nuggets. They always have two entrees, so the kids can pick, and the best I can gather from Alice's account was that it was noisy and the "weird lady" couldn't hear or understand what Alice was saying and just gave her all the things she didn't want. Alice seemed pretty unfazed by it all, but it annoyed me that she didn't get what she wanted for lunch. So I've been training her on shouting her order clearly and vigorously shaking her head no when the weird lady tries to give her something she doesn't want.