Alice saw me packing a banana for my lunch, and said, "Zachary (her classmate) gets a banana in his lunch. Why don't I ever get a whole banana?"
My mind flickered for a second. Why are we essentially making a fruit salad for Alice every day, when we could just send a banana? We started the cut-up fruit habit when she was a toddler and only had a couple of teeth, and we hadn't evolved much over the years. Perhaps because we have to cut up fruit for Simon now, it doesn't seem much harder to do it for Alice also. But it made me wonder what other shortcuts we weren't taking.
So I said to Alice, "That's a good idea! Maybe we will send a banana. What else do your friends bring for lunch?"
"Sweet potatoes, yucky fruit....electricity dragon meat....yuck sock poo...I don't know."
Either she couldn't remember, or she generally liked her lunches and didn't want us to copy her friends too much.
My mind flickered for a second. Why are we essentially making a fruit salad for Alice every day, when we could just send a banana? We started the cut-up fruit habit when she was a toddler and only had a couple of teeth, and we hadn't evolved much over the years. Perhaps because we have to cut up fruit for Simon now, it doesn't seem much harder to do it for Alice also. But it made me wonder what other shortcuts we weren't taking.
So I said to Alice, "That's a good idea! Maybe we will send a banana. What else do your friends bring for lunch?"
"Sweet potatoes, yucky fruit....electricity dragon meat....yuck sock poo...I don't know."
Either she couldn't remember, or she generally liked her lunches and didn't want us to copy her friends too much.