On Friday afternoon we went to Simon's class for his end of year celebration and ice-cream party.






The teacher started with a slide show of the kids.

I love how they basically take their mug-shots at the beginning of the year.



Yum?

Outside the class in the hallway, each kid had written a persuasive essay on why they should have an ice-cream party. Simon took a merit-based approach, citing reasons such as, "I want a ice cream party because I never clip down because I be good" and "I deserve a ice cream party because I can read because I've learned."
We first met in the classroom where he had a little booklet that he wrote about the steps for how to make an ice-cream sundae. These teachers really know how to milk the learning opportunities out of a party!
Unprompted, on the back he drew a diagram of a magnolia tree and labelled it. I can't wait to see what this kid becomes when he grows up. A comedian? A scientist? I feel like those are his two main options.
The teacher started with a slide show of the kids.
I love how they basically take their mug-shots at the beginning of the year.
After the slide show, the teacher handed out an award to each kid (Simon got most responsible for being a "professional kindergartener"). Then we went to another classroom and the kids got to make their icecream sundaes. The party was supposed to be outside, but it was too stormy.
Yum?
Then we just kind of hung out awkwardly in the classroom for a while as the kids went berserk.