Alice has been reading this book called, Our Teacher is a Vampire for a while now. I don't know if I can say it's the first book she read all by herself, but I think it is. She read some of the Magic Treehouse books, but we would sometimes read parts of them to her at bedtime. But this book she really read entirely by herself. It is so fun to see her finally start to like reading. A few times I would catch her reading in her bed at night when she was supposed to be sleeping. I would pretend to be mad, but of course I was secretly happy.
The last couple of days, she would finish her shower, put on her pajamas, and do a "beach read" on the bathroom floor (because it was warm in there) while Simon finished his shower.
Here she is on the last page of her book (253 pages) -- although to be completely truthful this is a reenactment.
She was so proud of herself for reading the whole book!
Thank you, authors, for making books kids actually want to read! (says the English teacher who teaches "great literature" that kids don't want to read. Sigh.)