Sunday, July 18, 2021

Day 2: Lower Mt Cammerer Trail to Sutton Ridge Overlook

 In our hikes I've realized that short hikes with lots of play time are the best hikes and the least likely to cause Simon to cry. There were four trails emanating from our campground, and I planned for us to do three of them. So for the first day, we did the Lower Mt. Cammerer Trail to Suttong Ridge Overlook, a a mere 2.6 mile round trip journey. Perfect.


I can't get enough of these log bridges over beautiful mountain streams.


Like every hike, Simon whined about being bored in the beginning. But once we ascended high enough to get into the mountain foliage, he was happy. Simon loves climbing what he calls the "jurumpabambaboo" trees we find in the mountains.


Alice is too big already for those spindly branches, so she usually climbs on downed trees.


Zac and the kids like to climb up the streams. I'm much more unsteady, so I usually pick a peaceful spot and have a snack while they scramble around.





Then it started raining. I'd packed raincoats and ponchos for all of us. Zac used an umbrella. I actually like hiking in the rain, as it is a unique experience. Alice did not enjoy it.



We finally reached the overlook but we couldn't see much, due to the trees and clouds.





On a potty break near a stream Simon was playing at for a long time, Zac found a chimney from an old home.



After the hike, we went back to our campsite and had some snacks. 


Then we walked back to a nearby stream to play for a while before supper. 


Simon loves finding salamanders!


Alice had a can of pineapple juice that she inexplicable loved calling her "pop" and she had many hat ideas for it.



We pretty much ate the whole time. But sometimes I would read to Alice while she ate.