Friday, January 1, 2021

Happy New Year: 2021

We are cautiously optimistic as we enter the new year. We have 20 more days of Trump's cruel insanity to survive until Biden is inaugurated (even though Trump hasn't conceded yet and continues to promote lies of the election being stolen from him). But things won't magically get tangibly better on that day. And I know there's a long hard road ahead for the pandemic, as the vaccine rollout has been slow, cases and deaths are skyrocketing (~4k die every day), and now there's a more contagious variant of the virus. The kids aren't going back to school until Jan 20th (if we're lucky), and my own classes are still going to be online for the foreseeable future. So things are rough. But I remain grateful for our health, our jobs, our peaceful community, and the friendships we've been able to maintain through the pandemic. I am glad we have a large house and a large yard and a pond, greenway, creek, and park nearby. I appreciate that we can still hike and that I have a couple of friends who hike with me. I'm thankful for our family that is weathering the storm with as much alacrity as we can summon.


After some morning Mario Kart on the new Nintendo switch, we made gingerbread cookies.



Zac and Simon ended up doing most of the decorating.



How we all feel turning the corner from one rough year to another.