Due to having our deck rebuilt, we've had the grill sitting in the corner of our dining room all week. After supper today, Alice went to put her shoes on or something and noticed an animal under it. I pulled the grill aside to reveal this deceased adolescent bunny. Simon said, "Yeah, mom, that's the mouse I saw yesterday that I was telling you about!" I just looked at him. "Simon, you said a mouse. This is a rabbit! You saw it hopping around the house? And thought it was a mouse? It's huge!" Simon didn't think further explanation was necessary. It's true that it's not unusual for the cat to bring in creatures and let them loose in the house, so we don't really bat an eye when we see a rodent dart out from under the fridge or scurry across the study. But a mid-sized rabbit? And to not realize that this is definitely not a mouse? I worry about that boy sometimes.
I quickly wrapped it in a plastic bag and disposed of it. Alice was surprised to realize it was gone already. "Mom, what did you do with the rabbit?" I told her I threw it away. She seemed disappointed, and when I asked why, she explained, "I was thinking we could maybe cut it in half? And take it's bones out?"
My children.