Saturday, May 11, 2019

Park, Lunch, Library, Park

I took the kids out for the day so Zac could get stuff done.  We started at Walnut Street Park, a great playground but with little shade. There are also some paved paths that I thought would be good for the kids to bike and scooter on.   They did pretty well climbing around, while I listened to a much-interrupted podcast.


Something about having gray hair emerge makes me want to reclaim my youth and also climb the playground equipment.


Simon loved riding his bike around this loop, but Alice of course was easily distracted.


Alice couldn't resist running around this hill.




After playing a good while at the park, I took them to the Dairy Queen near our old house for lunch.  They were pretty thrilled that the kids meal came with an ice-cream cone.  Simon didn't eat much of his though, but Alice scarfed hers down, and finished up some of Simon's. It must have been all that running.


From Dairy Queen, we drove past our old house and headed to the library in downtown Cary. The kids enjoyed this work of public art.


After picking out books at the library, we went to another park that was near our old house: Urban Park.  It's a very small park squeezed between two little roads. It also had a piece of public art for the kids to play in, in addition to the more traditional playground equipment.


At the park, Simon discovered he could climb the poles.



Simon was NOT happy about being pushed in the baby swing.




I guess I fear that our playground days may be winding down in the next year or two. I'm trying to capture the moments.  Already, Alice preferred to sit next to me on the bench and read for a bit rather than playing.