Sunday, March 4, 2018

Alice at The Little Mermaid

My school's drama department does two plays every year--one of which is usually a musical. I've gone to these off and on over the years, but this was the first time I thought Alice would be capable of sitting through a production with good behavior. It helped that the show was The Little Mermaid musical, something Alice would be interested in. We went to the Sunday afternoon matinee, and I had arranged to meet my friend and coworker Becky and her daughter, Sophia, there.

Before the show started, we found seats in the front row with Becky and Sophia.  Then a bunch of my students (dressed as mermaids and seagulls) came over to talk to Alice, in character. Alice loved it it, but went into "shy mode" immediately.

We weren't allowed to take any pictures during the show, but it was great and Alice enjoyed it. Every time the audience clapped, Alice would whisper, "Is it over?"  Not because she wanted it to be over, but because she was worried it would end too soon.

One funny thing was the sea king (a student I know well not from class but because I run detentions at my school and he often had detentions) was wearing a vest, but no shirt under it. Alice kept freaking out and whispering to me, "I can see his nipple!"  Male public partial nudity is something that still baffles Alice.

Anyway, the play was good and Alice did great, so I can bring her every year (and Simon too in a couple of years).