Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Alice at Soccer Camp

This week, Alice had soccer camp from 9am to noon every morning. I had to sign up for camps back in February, and since this was all new to me, I didn't know what to expect from the camps or Alice. My goal was to give her some more exposure to things she might enjoy, since it's too chaotic during the school year to be taking her to soccer practice or ballet or gymnastics in the evenings.

 I dropped Alice off at the WakeMed Soccer Park every morning wearing cleats, shin guards, and sun block; equipped with a ball, snack, and water bottle. I picked her up three hours later and she's hot and sweaty and hungry. Since the camp was only three hours long, it wasn't really worth it for me to drive home and get stuff done there, so I usually took walks on the cross country trail that goes around the soccer fields and then read in the van until she was done.

This particular camp was pretty no-frills. From what I could see on my walks, the kids just did various drills and soccer activities, and ran around the whole time. Alice loved it. She made two friends on the first day that she kept all week. She was pretty worn out every day though and took long naps every afternoon after lunch.

In the videos below she is in the light purple. I took these from far away on the way back on one of my walks. I didn't want to be that weird mom lurking around, so I tried to do it surreptitiously.