Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Bedtime Q & A

Alice: Mom, why am I not a duck?
Sera: Because your parents aren't ducks. You can only be a duck if your parents are ducks.

***

Alice: Why do we only have one cat?
Sera: Well, how many cats do you think we should have?
Alice: Fifty-five.
Sera: Could you imagine having fifty-five cats meowing every time they want fed?
Alice: Ok, maybe fifty-six cats.

***

Alice: Why are Mater and Lightning McQueen not real?
Sera: Because they're just from someone's imagination, and then they made books and movies about them. Did you know that Peppa's not real?
Alice: Yes.
Sera: Can you think of anything else that's not real?
Alice: Yes. Unicorns are not real, and dragons...
Sera: What about dinosaurs?  Are they real?
Alice: Yes, but they're all dead. Except one.
Sera: Really? Which one?
Alice: The one with spikes on its back that can fight the T-Rex.
Sera: The Ankylosaurus?
Alice: Yes, that one.
Sera: Nope, those are all extinct, too. But you know what? The great-great-great [etc.] grandchildren of dinosaurs are still alive. They're birds. Whenever you see a bird, you can think that its great-great-great [etc.] grandparents were dinosaurs.
Alice: Where was I before I was born?
Sera: You weren't anywhere.
Alice: But, where was I before I was born?
Sera: Nowhere. You didn't exist.
Alice: Was I on another continent?
Sera: You know what, actually, you come from an exploded star. We all do.
Alice: Oh no, not a star!
Sera: What's wrong with coming from a star?
Alice: I wanted to be a princess before I was born.
Sera: Well, you can dream that you're a princess with fifty-six cats.  Goodnight, sweetie.