Monday, December 1, 2014

Surf scarf

This is why to keep kids entertained, you just need a bunch of random stuff laying around.  This kickboard, that we bought years ago when we took our refugee family to the beach, has provided Alice with lots of playtime.  Today it was her surfboard (this is why all Zac's jeans have holes in the knees). She is interested in surfing because in one of the shark books from the library, it shows a picture of the surfer who got her arm bitten of by a shark, and the surfboard with a big bite out of it.  I realized Alice didn't know what surfing was, so I showed her a some youtube videos.  The concept sat in her brain for a couple of days before it manifested in this.  

Similarly, one day I told her it looked like she had a hula skirt on, and it became clear she didn't know what that was.  So I showed her a youtube video of hula dancing, and a couple of days later she started the practice of sliding her undershirt down to her waist when undressing for the bath, and saying it is her hula dancing skirt.  Same thing with breakdancing.  I forget why it came up, but I showed her a video, and she processed it for a couple of days, and then decided, while getting her yogurt out of the fridge for her bedtime snack, that she wanted me to show her how to breakdance.  I find the couple-day delay interesting.  You think something hasn't had an impact on her, but then it will come out later.