Friday, October 10, 2014

Light-up Shoes

I had a half-day at work Friday, so I used the afternoon to run some errands.  Among other things, I had to get shoes for myself for a wedding coming up, and I had to get some white shoes for Alice, since she only inherited pink shoes from her cousin, and sometimes they clash with her outfit (1st world problems).  At Target they only had one kind of white sneakers for girls, so I found Alice's size and bought them without much thought.  After supper, Zac was asking how my errands went, and I started to talk about my first stop, a shoe store where I was looking for shoes to go with my dress.  Alice immediately interrupted and asked, "Did you get me shoes, mommy?  Did you get me light up shoes?  Murphy and Elsa have light up shoes.  I want some light-up shoes.  I like them!"  This was the first time she had mentioned her deep desire for light-up shoes, so  I was preparing her for disappointment, by saying I did get her shoes, but not light-up shoes.  However, when we took them out of the box, we discovered they were in fact light up shoes.  It didn't say anywhere on the box that they were light up shoes and I hadn't jostled them around enough in the store to notice.

Alice could not have been happier.  She had to put them on right away and run around with them.  She turned off all the lights and stomped around the house to activate the lights on her shoes.  Every two minutes, she would say, "I like my light up shoes.  Do you like my light up shoes?  I like them.  Thank you for getting me light up shoes, mommy!"  Over and over and over.  I've never seen her this way, and it was all by accident.  I think if I had set out to buy her light up shoes, I wouldn't have been able to find any.