But to backtrack a little bit, the day started out rough and never got easier. Both kids woke up in the night, but at least they then slept in to a little past eight, about an hour later than normal. It was one of those mornings where Alice was super intense and high-maintenance. It seemed like between every bite of my breakfast I was getting up to tend to one of her needs.
We finally made it out of the house around 10:45 for our excursion for the day. We planned to go to the Prairie Ridge Ecostation where they have a nature play space that we had never been to yet. However, when we arrived the gates were closed: it didn't open till noon. Instead, we went to the nearby Schenck Forrest and had a snack at a picnic table. At some point Alice fell off the picnic table and hurt her crotch, but we didn't think much of it.
We went on to the the Ecostation around noon, and found a delightful play area. Alice really likes to carry around tools and play with water, so she had a great time. We stayed until about 2:30, then went home. Once at home, Zac worked on the Lemon Meringue pie I had requested, and I took care of the kids, who napped, but not at the same time. The pie wasn't finished until about 5:30 pm, just in time to start supper. The above video was made after supper. We eventually got the kids to bed, the clothes in the dryer, the dishes in the dishwasher, and ourselves to bed.
So, I don't have any profound thoughts on this mother's day. Just that I admire anyone who is in the thick of it like this and thinks to herself, "You know what I need? Another one of these creatures!" Props to my own mom for forging ahead and having three kids, because otherwise I wouldn't exist. But I think Zac and I are content with two.