Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving


We went to my friend Amy's for Thanksgiving this year since Tom and family went to Florida. I was nervous about dealing with two kids, Alice's rambunctiousness, and still managing to socialize. But ultimately Zac convinced me that we should go because it would be depressing to not do anything for the holiday.  Plus, we went there last year (Tom was in Paris) and had a good time.

Alice was super shy when we arrived because there were so many people there.  Since she was being antisocial anyway, I took her to the bathroom to show her the potty. (She's still new to this potty training thing, I thought it would help if she realized every house had a potty and knew where to go.)

She was really attracted to the piano that was in an adjacent room (like a moth to the flame), so I told her she could play it one finger at a time (to keep her from being too noisy and pounding on it.)  That kept her busy enough until it was time to eat.

She did OK during the meal, and was slightly less squirmy than normal.  The funny thing is that although she normally eats quite well, she doesn't do that well when we eat at other people's houses, probably because the food is a little different and it's a different environment.  She really liked the rolls and turkey though, so she managed to get enough to eat.

And what about Simon this whole time?  When we first arrived, there were some teenage girls drooling over him, so he was passed around for a while, and then passed out during supper with nary a peep.  Amy looked at me during dinner and said, "You're kids are so good!"  Then she added, by way of apology, "I don't mean to say I think your life is easy right now, though."

The tradition at Amy's Thanksgiving is to take a walk after supper and before pie.  The weather was really cold, so a few ladies stayed behind, and I took the opportunity to nurse Simon.  Zac took Alice on the walk.  She was chomping at the bit to get out the door, and Zac reported that she ran the whole way.  That child has energy to burn!

Sera helps Simon do crunches, while Amy reads to Alice.
The adults, not aware of the impending doom as we neared, then passed, Alice's bedtime, were having a good time visiting, so the pie was served rather late. In the meantime, Amy found some books to read to Alice.  Alice got right in her lap without hesitation. I always like how Alice interacts with other people so easily, and can quickly pick up on who is in to her.  Not having a natural gift for children, I always feel awkward around other people's kids, like I have to do something really special to get their attention.  But I think Alice makes it easy for people.


Later, David, Amy's husband, conjured up a box of toys, and had quite a bit of fun building things with Alice. (He was wearing a yellow shirt so Alice called him "The Yellow Man" the whole time no matter how many times I told her his name was David.)

Well past Alice's bedtime, they finally broke out the pies. Why did we stay so long?  Well, it isn't Thanksgiving without pie, Zac had made one of the pies so it would be awkward to leave early, and Alice was actually holding it together OK.  Alice ate a small slice of sweet potato pie, but didn't seem interested in more.

I took Simon away to nurse one last time before the car ride home, and overheard one of the other guests talking on the phone to someone about how impressed she was with Alice being so lively and well-behaved, and Simon being so cute and quiet.

So on this Thanksgiving I was most thankful that a good friend took us orphans in, and that the kids behaved.  Alice is quite often bonkers, especially during supper, but the gods smiled on us this night.

On the way home, Alice (now a good two hours past her bedtime) said, "I had fun at Amy's house!"  When we asked her what she did there, she said, "I played the piano.  I played with toys.  I ate turkey and pie."

What a happy Thanksgiving!