Saturday, November 7, 2020

November 7th 2020: What we did on the day Biden Declared Winner!

Although the election was four stressful days ago, today there were finally enough votes counted for the networks to confidently declare Biden the winner of the 2020 election.

Election night was scary, because even although the polls had Biden leading by 10 points, we knew from the 2016 tragedy that polls couldn't be trusted and that nearly half of voters are amoral idiots.  I didn't throw up all night like I did in 2016 when the NY Times had the needle pointing firmly towards Trump. But I felt nauseous and couldn't sleep, eventually dry-heaving over the toilet. Maybe the past four years have rendered me unable to truly horror-vomit.

Anyway, things were looking slightly better by the morning, and each day brought more favorable votes for Biden, so our anxiety eased.  But let it be noted for the historical record that it was on Saturday morning at 11:38 am, while having a snack break near the fountains at the lovely North Carolina Museum of Art with our good friends Natasha and Izzy that I got a text from my neighbor Kelly Wiemer telling me it was finally time we could say, "Bye Don!" I'm not particularly excited about Biden or Harris (although the woman of color part is pretty cool!), but I am so relieved that enough people voted to end Trump's tyranny. The disconcerting part is that it wasn't a landslide for Biden and the dems didn't take the senate. Democrats are good people but terrible politicians.

So it was a great day.  We had a beautiful morning at the museum. In the afternoon I took a walk on the greenway while talking to my friend Shanu. That evening, our neighbor Linda took Alice and Simon out for pizza, so I used my Postmates gift card (given to me back when I had surgery a year ago but just never used it) to order in some Mediterranean food for Zac and I to have a peaceful supper without the kids.  Since I didn't have to cook supper, I baked some celebratory "dump Trumpcakes" and the kids decorated them after supper. That night, we watched Kamala and Biden's acceptance speeches while the kids went bonkers in the living room and drove us nuts. But at least our democracy will survive for the time being and there is hope for the future!


Portrait of Alice at the art museum.


Izzy and Alice at the reflecting pool.


The fuzzy spider Simon spotted on our deck during lunch.


Yes, we do!

Simon also found a praying mantis today.


Making our celebratory cupcakes!


Of course, now we just need Trump to concede the election, but that'll probably never happen.