I had an idea to have a big party with all the kids friends, to just do a massive playdate and let them all run around, but also have a potluck so they parents could stay and visit (since supervising large amounts--ok any amount--of kids is my nightmare). The party worked pretty well, except we spent way too much time getting ready for a mere 3 hour party. It's like Thanksgiving dinner--all that cooking and people just eat it up and are done in 20 minutes. The ROI just doesn't seem worth it sometimes, and it really made me question parties as a whole concept.
We didn't take many pictures, but here is Simon waiting at the top of the driveway for his friends to arrive at 5:00 sharp.
The kids did soon start arriving and made brief use of the playground in the back yard.
We had hotdogs for supper (plus the sides--mostly chips--that people brought for the potluck), and afterwards went to the backyard for a campfire, s'mores, and glow sticks. We briefly managed to corral most of the kids to the hammock for a group photo.
All in all it was fun but it went way too fast and I felt like I barely got to visit with anyone. I always feel disappointed after events, actually, but that never seems to stop me from eventually planning more.
At least for trips you do a lot of packing and preparing but then you get to be in some cool place for a couple of days. Maybe I will put more of my energies into planning little weekend trips.



