When I left work on Thursday afternoon (my school had a half-day), I took this picture of the three beautiful giant oak trees outside the building and hoped (what secular people do instead of pray) they would make it through the storm.
On the way home, the skies seemed ominous.
I looked at our forested back yard, and it suddenly seemed so dangerous -- so many trees that could fall over! But I wonder if there is safety in number for trees? Like the wind can't smack any one of them too hard?
The storm (now with less dire predictions) was supposed to hit early Friday morning, but we all slept in the basement guest room out of an abundance of caution. We also didn't want the kids to be too scared, since they'd been hearing about the hurricane all week. In fact, when we first broke the news to Simon, he started crying and got very upset. It soon became clear he thought our house would blow away while he was sleeping all alone in his bedroom. So we thought everyone would sleep better if we were all together. They kids had great fun with the "family sleepover."