Monday, August 29, 2016

Kindergarten Assessment Day

On Monday, Alice had her kindergarten assessment day. This is where the kids are divided up alphabetically into three groups, and over the course of three days, each group of kids comes in for a full day and they do things so the teachers can assess how many headaches they will have this year.




Alice was ready to go and completely calm and confident on her first day. We've been talking about kindergarten for a year, she's read many library books on the topic, and, well, she's Alice, so the idea of meeting new people and having a new place to go for a whole day is the best thing ever.

She chattered happily as we ascended the steps to the school and I fought off tears. Not because I'm sad about any of this, of course, but just because I cry easily whenever something momentous is happening in life. The problem is that I can't focus on enjoying the momentous moment because I'm spending so much energy trying to not be a crying weirdo. Luckily, Alice didn't notice at all.

We found the intake room and I recorded that Alice had packed a lunch, had no allergies or medical issues, and that we'd pick her up by car at the end of the day. Then I said goodbye and off she went.


Zac picked her up at 3pm when school was out. She was tired but happy, and declared that the day had been "Awesome!"