The night before Mother's Day, Simon woke up crying. He had a little cold, so we thought he was just uncomfortable, so we waited a few minutes, and he laid back down (we were watching on the spy camera). But then he got up and started crying again. When I went in the see what was the matter, I discovered he had vomited all over his bed. Zac changed the sheets while I changed Simon. He then threw up a few more times. A few outfit changes later, I rocked him to sleep and put him back to bed.
Moments like these aren't miserable for me. It seemed somehow fitting that on the night before mother's day, my son was throwing up on me. It's for nights like this that parents are honored. If it was all bubbles and sunshine, we wouldn't need a special day to force children to thank their parents.
You may recall that last Mother's Day was a bit of a mess, so we decided to keep it simple. No lemon meringue pie, for one. And we got all the laundry done on Saturday. In the morning, we went to Harris Lake Park. It's a fun place, but we were also going to scope it out as a possible venue for Alice's potential birthday party. In the end, we decided it was nice, but probably too far away (30 minutes) to ask people to drive just for a playground and picnic shelter.
While Zac and Alice went to explore the green pond, Simon took a little nap on me.
Alice fell asleep in the van on the drive home, so when I brought her in the house, my non-snuggly child actually wanted to lay on me for a little bit. It was the best mother's day gift.
As always, Alice was very helpful in unwrapping the presents.