Simon had his first day back at daycare today. Zac said drop off went well. I picked him up two hours later (this being a transition day) and he was sitting on the floor with one of the teachers when I got there. I thought he would be thrilled to see me, but he was indifferent. I later found out he had just woken up, so he was probably just groggy.
I had been dreading giving him up, but I think it's good for him to be back in daycare. Lately he's been going through an attachment phase when I'm home alone with him where he cries and follows me if I'm more than five feet away. This can become quite wearisome, as I felt like I was being held hostage by this child who wanted to be picked up all the time. I think daycare helps because he learns that he can be away from me and his needs will still be met.